Sunday, September 23, 2007

Memories of Baptism

I don't remember the first time I was baptized. I know I was baptized as an infant because when I told my mother I was going to be baptized at 20 years old after professing Jesus Christ as my Savior, she told me there was no need because I had already been baptized. Neither she nor my father were believers at that time.

But I certainly remember being baptized after my conversion. I was going to school in Santa Barbara, California, living with a young family there, helping with their little girl for room and board. The pastor of the church I attended preached a message much like the ones Erik has been preaching and I knew that because Jesus said to be baptized, I needed to obey Him. The church had the service in the afternoon and I was very nervous and shy about being in front of hundreds of people and professing my faith. It was wonderful to come up out of that water and be congratulated by God's people who rushed around me in support and a show of love.

But the real testimony came after I got home. Stan and Helen Silva, the young couple with whom I lived, were having a large group of their friends over for a pool party and as I came in the door, Stan saw me and called me to the backyard. He knew I had become a Christian and had been teasing me about praying for everything and going to church all the time. He knew I was being baptized that day and took this chance to tease me again. He had me stand in front of their friends while he questioned me about this strange thing - an adult college girl being dunked in a pool like a religious fanatic. With my hair still soaking wet, I had a chance to share my love for the Lord Jesus with about 30 people who didn't know you could have a personal relationship with Him.

I was embarrassed, sure - but also proud to be able to overcome my natural shyness by the power of the Spirit in order to do what Jesus asked me to do - be obedient in baptism that others might come to know Him. I had memorized 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given you a spirit of fear but a spirit of love and power and self control." I'm glad I was forced to put that promise to the test.

2 comments:

RBraun said...

Thank you for sharing your baptism story with us! I wonder how I would have handled explaining baptism to 30 nonbelievers. I've really been enjoying Erik's sermon series these past two weeks. It's a great reminder of what God has done for us and how we need to share it with people!

It's fun for me to think back to my baptism. Who would have thought my pastor that baptized me as a seven year old would be my father-in-law thirteen years later? It makes me think of Proverbs 19:21, one of my favorite verses, " Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

On a side note, I have to discourage Four Oaks from doing any sibling-group baptisms. I was baptized on the same day as my two older brothers, they were 9 and 12 yrs old at the time. Well, while I was waiting nervously for my turn to stand before all these people and be baptized, my brothers turn to me and point out the weights at the bottom of my baptismal gown, saying, "Do you know what those are for? Those are weights so that you stay under water when you are baptized!" So I took the plunge not knowing if I was going to come back up or not. That's older brothers for you!

Shannon said...

How funny, Rachel, being teased by your brothers at the moment of this important spiritual experience! I was baptized as a Catholic baby, then again when I was 13 at a Christian camp some relatives took me to where I experienced over many summers of going there some great spiritual experiences, including meeting my husband! It was in central Florida, and the lake where I was baptized was infested with alligators! We would joke about it and tease the people "going down" to watch out for gators. Funny thing is, a few years later the lake was closed for swimming, and baptisms, because of the increasing numbers of alligators! I liked, despite the deadly reptiles, being baptized in a natural body of water rather than a pool or church "bathtub". There was something special about doing it in an earthy, God-made place.

PS...I happen to catch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" on TV the other night which I always stop and watch since my mom's family is Greek and it's just too funny! It happened to be the scene where the husband gets baptized in the Orthodox church in a blow-up-kiddie pool to make the family happy. Hilarious!