Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Let's Create Some Morning Chatter!

You may have wondered how I came up with the title, Daughters of Song. When my sister, Gail, visited our church in New Jersey and sat watching the women come in dressed in their bright dresses and chattering to their friends and families as they got settled, she said it was like watching a flock of pretty birds. I thought of Ecclesiastes 12, "Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come... when one rises at the sound of the bird and all the daughters of song sing softly." We are God's daughters, we sing his song. David says in Psalm 1: Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord and in His law he meditates day and night.
On “…but his delight is in the law of the Lord and in His law he meditates day and night…” Martin Luther writes (I know he uses 'hence' twice but don't let that stop you from the power of this :) “The ’will’ which is here signified, is that delight of heart, and that certain pleasure, in the law, which does not look at what the law promises, nor at what it threatens, but at this only: that the law is ’holy, and just and good.’ Hence it is not only a love of the law, but that loving delight in the law which no prosperity, nor adversity, nor the world, nor the princes of it, can either take away or destroy; for it victoriously bursts its way through poverty, evil report, the cross, death and hell, and in the midst of adversities, shines the brightest.”
“The mouth of the righteous shall meditate wisdom.” Hence, Augustine has, in his translation, ’chatter’; and a beautiful metaphor it is - as chattering is the employment of birds, so a continual conversing in the law of the Lord (for talking is peculiar to man) ought to be the employment of man.” Martin Luther
The women of God, those ’daughters of song’ ought to create a godly chatter in the morning. As the psalmist says, ’I will awake the dawn’. I don’t think you have to be up before the sun but there is something about the Proverbs 31 woman who rises while it is still early and provides food for her household that should compel us to our morning devotions. The King James Version says, “provides meat”… we know the word is likened to spiritual food and we are to be like newborn babies desiring that spiritual food (1 Peter 2) not only for our own nourishment but to build up others. Every new mother knows what it is like to rise while it is yet night to feed that little one.
When we talked about the woman as “keeper of the home” many said that Proverbs 31 seems like a scary list of tasks at which we are constantly falling short but we must see it as the praise of our heavenly husband saying to the bride, “You are blessed because you are this woman, this woman who fears the Lord."
So let’s create some early morning chatter, you daughters of song, and keep it up all through the day and night! Let us hear from you - we need your song today
.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Psalm 5:3 recentlty caught my eye. "In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." (NIV) It has encouraged me to cast my cares at His feet every morning when I start my day. The trick for me is to remind myself throughout the day that I've already given it to Him, and there's no need to worry about it. The "wait in expectation" part is not, to me, about sitting around waiting for Him to give me what I want, but instead waiting to see how He works it out in His perfect will. Setting time aside in the morning is key, especally for us women, because we get so carried away with our daily tasks. I'm not a morning person by nature, but I'm trying to get there by discipline. (and coffee!)

LMachado said...

I will enjoy reading your blog and being encouraged in the early morning hours!. Before the sun comes up is the best (and really only time) in this household to have quiet time with God and fellowship with the Holy Spirit--something I am asking God to enable me to do better- and to pray for my husband and children