Friday, August 31, 2007

Quiet Time

For many years I've used Charles Spurgeon's little devotional book, "Morning and Evening", as an encouragement for my own quiet time. I'm reading from his entry for evening, August 31. "If we walk in thFe light, as he is in the light (1 John 1:7) As he is in the light! Can we ever attain this?... I cannot attain to that perfection of purity and truth which belongs to the Lord of Hosts by nature as the infinitely good, yet I can set the Lord always before me, and strive, by the help of the indwelling Spirit, after conformity to His image."
What a thought for sleep - I want to wake up tomorrow morning with thoughts of my Lord. David says, I will wake the dawn!
Join me in praising Him in the morning and the evening.
Will you send me your devotional thoughts and encouragements so I can post them here for our sisters in Christ? Sometimes when I wake up in the night or get up in the early morning I feel I'm like the owl of Psalm 102:6&7, "I am like the vulture of the wilderness, like an owl of the waste places; I lie awake, I am like a lonely bird on the housetop..." How wonderful to think of God's women bowing before Him in the morning and offering their homes and lives to Him for the day.

7 comments:

Pastor Erik said...

Hey Mom! Welcome to blogworld! I've linked you on my blogs...check em out. Watch out...don't become a slave to the blog.

Pastor Erik said...

Hey Mom! Welcome to blogworld! Watch out, it can become all consuming. I've linked you over at my blogs...looking forward to your posts!

Mike Braun said...

Love the blog page!
You can't go wrong with a quote from good old CHS.
You are a remarkable woman. I should know, I've lived with you 44 years next month.

Holly Ann Banks said...

Hey Susan - glad you are blogging. I am working through the last study - it is as great as the others. Definitely challenging me to study the Word --I like your words "Are you observing carefully what the Word of God actually says, making sure you know what God's word says before you decide what it means?" Great wisdom. Thanks again for your time spent wtih us! Love, Holly Banks

Krista Bump said...

Hey Susan! Great idea for a blog...I will look foward to reading it! Krista

Susan S. said...

I found it! Yay, I am looking forward to blogging with you.

Murph said...

Susan, What a wonderful idea! Because Dave and I are still up in the North Carolina mountains until the end of October I was delighted to see your blog...am missing my Tally church family. We do have a wonderful little church here but the last few weeks usually leave me pining for my "other home" (not to be confused with my heavenly home."
Our Wednesday night Bible study up here is just completing a video and workbook series entitled "Seeking Him". It is by Nancy DeMoss and Tim Grissom with Life Action Ministries. It deals with personal revival which of course must come first before there can be "revival" in the family and revival in the church. It is very personal and even though I have been a Christian for many years now it reveals places that need work! Ouch! So, even though I am living up "on the mountain" I need to come down spiritually and do some more growin' up!
Hope you continue with this blog! I will be "tuning in"! Judy Murphy p.s. please hug Karen for me, I surely do miss her!