Monday, February 18, 2008

Family Devotions

Ah, family devotions. I often wonder if others are inspired at the beginning of a new year to persevere in this much needed family activity.
“We need to really make that a priority,” my husband and I told each other, firmly and resolutely. We even bought a new devotional aid for parents with small children, with bright colors and helpful tips.
After dinner we brought out the Bible and our new book to read to our four precious children all sitting around the table, angelic faces leading us to believe they were as eager to carry out this resolution as their parents. They almost looked like the children on the cover of the devotional.
This was going to be great.
“Now,” Don began. “Tonight we are going to read about God creating the world…”
“I have to go to the bathroom,” our youngest piped up.
“Well, you can wait until we’re done. In the beginning…” Don continued.
“I have to go bad. Reeeeeeally bad.”
“Honey,” I whispered. “I’d hate to have an accident.”
“You’re right. Go ahead.” He cleared his throat and began again. “In the beginning –“
“Where were the dinosaurs?” another child asked.
“What?”
“Were the dinosaurs there?”
“Um, not yet. Now, let’s listen—“
“THERE’S NO MORE TOILET PAPER!!!” a call comes from the back.
“Sheesh. Where’s the toilet paper?” Don asked.
“It’s in there! I just put a new roll on!” I say defensively.
“I USED IT ALL!!” the voice from the bathroom chirped.
“YOU BETTER NOT USE THAT MUCH TOILET PAPER!!” I call back.
“I’ll go get him some,” my older daughter whips out of her chair.
“No! Wait!”Don calls, too late.
Soon all kids are back to the table.
“Ok, where were we? God created the world. In the beginning-- son, did you wash your hands? Excuse me, excuse me, don’t touch that. Did you wash your hands? Go wash your hands.”
“And flush the toilet!” I called after him.
“Yes, flush the toilet!” Don turned back to the Bible. “Ok, let’s read God’s word!”
“Um, Dad?”
Don sighed. “Yes.”
“Did the dinosaurs go to heaven?”
Don gave our daughter a bewildered look and after a long pause said: “I have no idea.”
My daughter looks disappointed.
Don presses on. “Now, I want to finish a verse! Everyone listen!”
The youngest returns to the table. “I flushed the toilet but it won’t go down.”
Don puts his head in his hands.
“Honey, let’s just pray.” I say.
“Yes, let’s pray. Who would like to pray?”
“ME!” “ME!”
“ME!”
“ME!”
“No, me first!”
“You always go first!”“That’s cuz I’m older and have more to pray about!”
“MOM!”
“Why don’t we let the youngest pray?”
“Dear God,” starts the four- year- old. “Thank you for my new jet plane-“
(Loud whisper: “OW! You’re squeezing my hand too hard!”)
“-and please make more dinosaurs-“ he continued.
(Louder whisper: “Eww! You’re hands are still wet!”)
“-so we can play with them. Amen.”
(loud crash when one of the kids falls backward in a chair.)
“THAT’S IT!!!” I cry. “GO TO BED!!”
That was not quite what I had pictured for our family devotions.
The next evening (oh who are we kidding, it wasn’t exactly the next evening but very soon after) as we are clearing the dinner dishes my youngest says: “Time to read the Bible!” and runs to get the Bible and the devotional book.
“Yay!” they all cry and gather around the table. (To be honest, I am not quite convinced that this enthusiasm isn’t slightly encouraged by the fact that devotions delay bed time. We’ll hope for the best.)
We have a similar reenactment of the night before, only this time, not quite as hectic, and we manage to make it through the second verse.
We consider that a great accomplishment.
(written by Robin)

1 comment:

tori said...

Thanks for your cute stories Robin. I love hearing about my little nieces and nephews! And not to mention the encouragement that we are not alone in our craziness.